SPONSOR A CHILD in China
Becoming a child sponsor is a wonderful and personal way to express unconditional love to a child who’s been abandoned or otherwise orphaned. Your sponsorship will help provide for your child’s needs and will make a lasting impact—even an eternal difference—in his or her life!
What is child sponsorship?
When you sponsor one of our children, your monthly gift provides not only life’s essentials like food, shelter and education, but also the love and nurturing that help to ensure that your child will grow into a healthy, well-adjusted member of society. As a sponsor, you’re able to connect with your child by exchanging letters and photos. This relationship can be very instrumental in helping to build good character and strong morals in your child.
Your monthly gift of $30 or more enables us to give your child, along with his or her Living Hope siblings, life-changing benefits like these:
Freedom from hunger and access to nutritious food and quality healthcare so young bodies will continue to grow, develop and thrive.
The opportunity to receive an education and achieve levels of higher learning, giving them a real chance at reaching their full potential.
Protection and nurturing from house parents and caregivers who truly love them and teach them proper conduct and a good moral standard.
Why sponsor a child through Living Hope International?
Very few sponsorship programs exist whose recipients include the children of China. If your heart is being pulled in the direction of China, we’re definitely the program for you! With a proven track record of over 10 years, we continue to invest in the lives of orphaned and abandoned children—precious lives that are sadly counted of little value by many in their indigenous cultures.
Who are the children rescued by Living Hope?
Most of the children enrolled in our sponsorship program are in a category known as “social orphan,” meaning that in some cases a parent is still alive but is no longer in the picture due to abandonment, imprisonment or some other unfortunate circumstance. For others, both parents have died but a living relative still remains. This type of child—the social orphan—is tragically caught in the middle due to the fact that (1) they do not qualify for any kind of state aid, (2) they cannot be adopted, and (3) so often they are trapped in deplorable living conditions with no hope for a future. This describes the majority of kids that Living Hope rescues.
How does child sponsorship work?
When you sponsor a child, you get to connect in a personal way through cards, letters and photos, while your monthly gifts are put to work to benefit not only your child, but his or her Living Hope siblings as well. Our sponsorship program helps to ensure that there is always enough food to eat, a safe and loving environment, quality healthcare, and good education opportunities, often through the college years.
Sponsoring a child is an effective and truly rewarding way to help counter the effects of extreme poverty—both in the physical and spiritual sense. Your gifts help to build strong bodies and minds while great attention is also paid to the inner person and the molding of good moral character. This is the true hope that we offer our children.
How do I sponsor a child?
While your monthly gifts are used to benefit a number of children in a particular location, our sponsorship program is still a personal one-on-one experience.
- Select a child whose story resonates with you or whose photo touches your heart in some special way.
- Your monthly gift of $30 or more will be pooled with the gifts of other sponsors to provide for your child’s physical, medical and educational needs, as well as those of his or her Living Hope siblings, and operating costs of our care facilities.
- At your convenience, begin building a relationship with your child through letters, cards and photos. We will in turn provide updates from your child twice a year. Your personal prayers for your child are deemed very important as well!
- In most cases, sponsors who have both the flexibility and the resources can arrange a visit to see their child in person. (Please contact our office well in advance of any planned travel.)
By sponsoring a child, you will get to witness his or her positive growth and development through semi-annual updates, and help to foster that growth through personal correspondence that fits your own schedule.
In order to protect the precious lives that have been entrusted to us, all correspondence between our children and their sponsors is channeled through our office.
What do I get when I sponsor a child?
- A welcome packet mailed to you with your child’s photo and information
- Photos and updates from your child twice a year going forward
- Response letters if you choose to initiate correspondence with your child
- A final report when your child graduates from the program
Please note that the semi-annual photos, updates and other correspondence from your child as noted above will be sent via email unless otherwise requested.
How much does it cost to sponsor a child?
Living Hope International is committed to caring for our children through high school and on through college if that is the ability and wish of the child. This is a costly endeavor. Our sponsorships start at $30 per month. Any amount above that is also welcomed and appreciated.
Am I my child’s only sponsor?
Due to the costs involved in assuming full responsibility for all of our children’s needs, no, you may not be your child’s only sponsor. We allow children to have more than one sponsor to ensure that all needs are met and to help provide as much encouragement and positive influence in their lives as possible.
Can I sponsor more than one child?
Absolutely! Many people happily sponsor more than one of our kids. Please note that our current system requires us to set up one sponsorship transaction per child sponsored.
Why sponsor a child?
Reasons for sponsoring can be as varied as our sponsors themselves. Here are a few points that we feel are significant:
- To make a difference: By sponsoring a child through Living Hope International, you can be sure that your gifts are used wisely to bring the maximum benefit to your child and his or her Living Hope siblings. We’ve been rescuing orphaned and abandoned children for more than 10 years and have helped to transform scores of broken hearts and lives into mature, well-adjusted adults with good character and respectable social standing.
- To be truly fulfilled: There is a great sense of fulfillment in any positive relationship and that’s what our sponsorship program is all about! The joy of sharing encouragement and receiving your child’s sincere expressions of gratitude add up to a truly fulfilling experience. Child sponsorship is a great way to share God’s love with a child who, depending on where he or she lives, may have little to no other access to such expressions.
- Because it has meaning: Lots of people find great meaning in child sponsorship for many different reasons. We’ve noticed that some people choose to sponsor a child who shares the same name as theirs or maybe the same birthday. This can be especially meaningful to your own children or grandchildren if you find a child that matches their name or date of birth. It’s also a wonderful means to pass on your values by way of loving correspondence and encouragement.
How long is my sponsorship commitment?
By becoming a sponsor with Living Hope International, you are given the opportunity to create a long-lasting relationship with a special child in need. Though it is not a requirement for sponsorship, many folks truly enjoy exchanging letters and photos throughout the duration of their child’s journey to financial independence. Others are content to simply receive new photos and updated reports from their child semi-annually, and that’s fine, too. While you are certainly free to cancel at any time and you will never be pressured in any way, we do want you to know that you are welcome to continue sponsoring your child for as long as he or she is in our program.
What happens when my child exits the program?
When it is determined that a child is no longer in need of support through Living Hope International, a final report is prepared by the child and his or her sponsors are notified. This typically occurs after a child graduates from his or her last phase of education but can be prolonged for a short while beyond that depending on each individual case. Our goal and commitment is to make sure that each child is well established and able to care for his or her own needs. Although our children grow up, they are still “orphans” in the sense that they do not have biological parents to look out for them. We continue to be their “family” even after they exit the sponsorship program.
When a child does officially exit the program, you will be notified by mail and given an opportunity to transfer your sponsorship to another child. In most cases, we will make a specific recommendation. Of course you are in no way obligated to accept this recommendation or to continue your sponsorship but it will be necessary for you to notify us of your decision.
Please note that for monthly gifts that are automatically drawn from a bank account or credit card, your sponsorship will be automatically transferred to the suggested child in the absence of a response from you. This is to ensure that no critical gaps in funding are created and no sponsorships lost simply due to a lack of communication. It will be your responsibility to notify us of your intention to discontinue your sponsorship.
Got more questions?
We’ve covered a lot of things most often on folks’ minds
but you can read some additional FAQs here.
We are pleased to be annually reviewed and held accountable by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA), an independent third-party accrediting organization
2016 Financial Statement available upon request. Contact us.